Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Get Adobe Flash player



The York and Kittery Water Districts allow the use of All Terrain Vehicles on most trails in the watersheds. The Districts do not allow off trail use or use of ATV’s on closed trails or on the ponds/reservoirs at any time. The Districts created a Watershed ATV Permit system in 1997 to limit the increasing number of ATV’s using the watersheds. Only residents of Kittery, Eliot and York are eligible to apply for a Watershed ATV Permit. The Districts limit the permits to the towns which the Districts serve. To apply for a permit an applicant must possess a legal, current State of Maine ATV Registration and the registration must show a Kittery, Eliot or York Maine address for each ATV. There is a limit of 4 permits per household. The completed application and a copy of the registration must be submitted to the York or Kittery Water District Offices for processing.

We do not allow ATV’s to be operated or give permits to children under the age of 10; Maine State Law prohibits us from that. We do not permit motorcycles, dirt bikes or motor driven cycles of any kind, only 3 wheeled, 4 wheeled or 6 wheeled ATV’s are permitted including 4 wheeled side by side ATV’s. Trucks, Jeeps, etc. are not allowed. All State Laws, Town of York Ordinances and Water District Rules related to the use of ATV’s apply. For a complete and current list of State of Maine ATV Laws please visit www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/atvlaws.html

York Water District & Kittery Water District
Watershed ATV Permit Application

Watershed ATV Permits are available to residents of Kittery, Eliot and York, Maine ONLY. DIRT BIKES, MOTOR CYCLES and MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLES are not eligible for a permit.


1. Please read the permit application thoroughly.
2. Fill in your name, mailing address, telephone number, and valid State of Maine ATV registration sticker number.
3. Print out the form.
4. Sign and date the form.
5. Drop off the form and a copy of a valid State of Maine ATV Registration at the York Water District Office or Kittery Water District Office or send it to York Water District 86 Woodbridge Road York, Maine 03909 or Kittery Water District 17 State Road Kittery, Maine 03904.

The District will process your Watershed ATV Permit and send it out as soon as possible.

All State of Maine ATV Laws apply!
This area is aggressively patrolled by the York Police Department
York Water District 86 Woodbridge Road PO Box 447 York Maine 03909 207-363-2265